Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season to all the wandering gypsies of InWorldz, be you on the long road or pitched safely in camp. May there be many more happy wanderings to all as the year turns anew, and maybe more wonderful places to see and pitch camp!
The carnival grounds of the fine city of Victoriana provided much needed rest for the little ones, and a joyous place to see faces missed so much on the long road. Alas it is but a city —Grand and ageless as its buildings may be.— and not used to free spirits such as the wandering gypsies, they soon tired of the sceptical of our presence. They kidnapped one of us, claiming her as our queen, knowing not that we have no such person among us. Then we knew it was time to return to the long road again. Perhaps in days when their own roaming carnies return, so shall we to meet of our wandering brethren of grand cities.
Packing the family and my wife choosing to wander on her own for a time, along the long road I the eclipsed one traveled. Along the way bringing music of shadows and night to those with mind and soul open to hear it, at least until the road ended and water lay ahead. Winter chill at my back, water ahead, and no shelter from a bitter winter coming, a night I spent on the shore. A ship was what was needed for the family to find shelter where the long road would resume, and as though the road answered a ship did appear, and I became it’s shadow on shore. Night and Shadow, both strong of body and will lead, pulling the Vardo of darkness, gargoyles, dragons and elegance along in turn. The two Clyde’s apply their will well, the traveling home dare not stop longer than to give each strong beast turn to rest and work in equal measure, traveling a day maybe two, a shadow drawing shorter. Soon ship and traveling gypsy did meet, gypsies of the sea they were and guardians of a camp among warmer waters, a mountain camp only to be reached by sea. With only another day on the bitter cold shore, Shadow and Night with help from Darkness not used to pulling himself, and help from hands of the deck, hoisted the Vardo to deck. Safe passage assured for father, son and daughter from the brethren of the sea, the journey was swift to where the long road would lead, a camp quite lively to allow rest, hidden away from others who may wish to kidnap out of their ignorance.
With word along the long road for the wife who wanders alone to find the family loved, wait and rest the eclipsed one does with son and daughter safe in his care.
I stood on the top of the hill watching the last of this particular camp being ushered passed Victoriana’s border and wondered…
“had a week gone by so fast?”
Then I untied the tethers on my barrel and after pulling up the gangplank, closed the curtains against the wind. Immediately the water’s current, “Pani”, sensed my barrel was free and picked it up and started carrying it along. Pani had been waiting–always wanting to carry me somewhere new.
After adding some wood to the fire, I lay back under my blanket and stared out the window at the sky. In winter places, light leaves the sky so early and so it was now–fading. The moon and the first stars followed easily, and I watched for the patterns they made because it would give me a hint of where Pani is taking me. Would it be to another joinup? Or would I find myself resting for a while, in some friendly and familiar place?
Hopefully in a warmer place for a bit. All my jelly beans froze over night and I will need to find some new ones.
The locals surrounding this latest camp were friendly and came out to dance with us. That was nice :—)
I have a feeling they will invite us back sometime–hopefully when it is summer time.
Our lovely harpist Ilianor has been injured by a fall down the stairs. It sounds serious, she is said to have been hospitalized for several days. Please send your thoughts of love and healing her way.
If you would like to help her financially she has many very lovely items for sale on her region, and tip jars available there if you would just like to gift her directly.
There were so MANY eggs found on Equinox at the Gypsy Camp. That hen Ethelred was so prolific!
MidnightRain Glas found the most – 20 eggs, and Mac Zeminoba created an enchanting Dancing Gypsy statue to recognize her diligence! Second place went to Ruby Vandyke, a collection of vardo items, again from Mac.
Making Pancakes For The Camp!
Other gypsies used their eggs for pancakes! Our own Gypsy Mary Berry deemed Trouble Morgan’s Dutch pancakes to be the tastiest, winning the $500 Izzies. Nyx Breen’s Japanese Pancakes captured second place, and Ruby VanDyke’s own special recipe with Blueberries captured third place. Feel free to try them yourself!
WINNER! Trouble Morgan Pancake Recipe (Dutch Pancakes)
Delicious pancakes , pancake and it fits perfectly with the autumn. Rolled pancake with raisins and apple.
- 150 grams of flour.
- A pinch of salt.
- 3 eggs..
- 250 ml milk.
- 500 grams of apple.
- 2 tablespoons white raisins.
- Lemon juice.
- A little butter.
- 200 ml of sour cream.
- 100g flaked almonds.
- 100 grams of sugar.
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Powdered sugar.
- A baking dish.
- Grab a bowl , and mix the flour herein a pinch of salt and three eggs.
- Pour 250 ml of milk in , not at once, but with smaller amounts and whisk until smooth.
- Now let the batter rest for a minute or 20.
- Meanwhile, peel the apples , cut into slices , add 2 tablespoons white raisins to the apples and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Melt a little butter in the pan and fry the pancakes.
- Then let the pancakes cool slightly.
- Then coat them with the sour cream.
- Mix the grated almonds with the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the sour cream , this lay the apple slices with raisins.
- Grease the baking dish with butter.
- Roll the pancakes , and put them side by side in the baking dish.
- Melt some butter and brush out the top of the pancakes with it.
- Put them in d eoven and bake 15 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- If you get them from the oven , sprinkle some powdered sugar on after all.
1st RUNNER UP: nyx breen Pancake Recipe (Japanese Pancakes)
- 12 ounces sliced bacon.
- 1 1/3 cups water.
- 4 eggs.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 medium head cabbage, cored and sliced.
- 2 tablespoons minced pickled ginger.
- 1/4 cup tonkatsu sauce or barbecue sauce.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until slightly crispy.
- Remove to paper towels to drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the water and eggs.
- Gradually stir in the flour and salt until smooth.
- Add the cabbage and ginger; stir until evenly distributed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
- Pour about 1/4 of the batter into the center of the skillet.
- Place 4 slices of cooked bacon in the center.
- Use a spatula to shape the pancake into a circle.
- Fry for about 5 minutes or until the edges are dry.
- Flip and cook on the other side until the center is stable and it is browned on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and drizzle with tonkatsu sauce to serve.
- Continue with remaining batter and bacon.
2nd RUNNER UP: Ruby Vandyke’s Pancake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 3 Tablespoons sugar.
- 1 3/4 teaspon baking powder.
- 2 eggs.
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter.
- 1 cup milk.
- Blend the flour, salt, sugar & baking powder together.
- Beat the eggs lightly into the melted butter and milk.
- Then fold into the dry mixture.
- Optional: add 1/2 cup of blueberries or chocolate chips to the batter.
- Pour batter onto hot griddle and cook, flipping over until golden brown on both sides.
Congratulations to all of our Gypsy Winners!
I’d like to establish a group of Gypsy members in the same time line. In Australia we are 16.5 hrs ahead of InWorldz time – that means that most of us are snoring when all the action is in progress. : (
If we know who else lives in our time zone we can befriend each other and find out who has this skill or that. We could begin with small gatherings and see where it leads. : )
What do you think? Any ideas?
The winter has been mild on the long road, and the gypsies antsy to be on it, joining up with friends scattered among the lands. The roads to Equinox seem fair so any gypsies that dare may find there way there in a weeks time. Gypsy bards and story tellers are making their way down the road. Races, and other competitions for gypsies to! Brave gypsies follow the notices along the long road, we have been apart to long.
Winter will soon be upon us. Soon the long road will be to unfriendly to travel, the cold winter winds biting, and snow blocking the way for vardo and beast. It is time to see shelter of a known camp and wait for the long road to open to us again, for camps can’t travel in the cold of winter. All gypsies should seek shelter where they may and prepare their vardos for cold coming there way!
There are no plans for more traveling camps over the winter months. If any gypsy wants an event at their camp during the winter they are welcome to arrange one.
Gi to gypsy merchants… Cracker Taggart has a store reserved at Octoberfest and invites you all to submit some merchandise we have 300 prims (but I am sure we can ask for more if needed). Can be anything as long as its PG content and of course gypsy. The store will be open for a month and sure to get some traffic. Let Cracker Taggart know if you want to participate… you will just need to be given a tag to rezz and the lm.
Hope to see you there
I have just come into Sulie and haven’t had time to fully settle in. Give me a little while longer and I’ll be able to sit and tell you stories on how I came to be traveling alone and finding this lovely camp.
Any who find my humble Vardo are welcome to rest a while or help themselves to a drink or anything that is out. What I have is yours.
We will speak soon. Of this I am sure of.
Until then, may your journeys be safe, your wheels never break and your purses always be filled with coins.
Follow the torches…
It would appear that the mists have thinned between the worlds of mortals and those of the Faelf.
If you are Faelf…..please be welcoming to friendly mortals….who come our way.
I have already seen that the Gypsies have ….with their Changeling blood and gift of the Sight….found their way into the Sidhevairs….
Perhaps I should not have danced so much with them at their last camp….but they are so fun!
If you are Gypsies….welcome to the Sidhevairs…
Those of you who have won the Gypsy lottery….
feel free to rezz your vardos once you follow the torches to the main camp.
to find your slots…look for hoofprints….and if you set to midnight….the guides are easy to find.
Please do not sell things in the Sidhevairs….
You are welcome in the camps….and once lottery winners have pitched….we will welcome more to the Lands to camp as you will….
We look forward to adventures with you and while surprised that you have found our Lands from where the Road has taken you…we welcome you to explore…to play….to sing…and to rest your bones….fix your wagons….feed your horses and celebrate our communities together.
If you get lost….here’s two hints to find your way back.